The Tibetan Buddhist Society aims to make the methods taught by Tibetan Buddhism available in the West and to create greater harmony by encouraging meditation practice.
The great Tibetan Buddhist master and scholar Venerable Geshe Acharya Thubten Loden founded the Tibetan Buddhist Society in Australia in 1979.
After more than 30 years of dedication and devotion to developing the Society our peerless teacher, vajra master and guide passed away in August 2011, aged 88.
The Society is a charitable, non-profit organisation, with centres of learning in Melbourne, Sydney and Perth.
The Peaceful Land of Joy Meditation Centre in Melbourne exists to:
– Offer students lifelong opportunities to study Buddhist meditation and philosophy
– Provide international access to the great Tibetan Buddhist lineage teachings through Geshe Loden’s books published by Tushita Publications
– Enrich the community by cultivating compassion, ethics, inspiration and energy
– Enable visitors to enjoy greater inner peace and relief from stress and ill-health
– Maintain an international centre of learning embracing the values of His Holiness the XIVth Dalai Lama of Tibet
– Connect our community with the true legacy of Tibet
The Peaceful Land of Joy is home to the first traditional Tibetan Buddhist temple in the southern hemisphere. His Holiness the Dalai Lama blessed the temple during his Australian tour of 2002.